Sunday, November 2, 2014

Producer Hal Roach and the Demolished Hal Roach Studios


Harold Eugene "Hal" Roach, Sr. (January 14, 1892 – November 2, 1992) was an American film and television producer, director, and actor from the 1910s to the 1990s, best known today for producing the Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang (later known as The Little Rascals) film comedy series. Hal Roach died in his home in Bel Air, California, from pneumonia on November 2, 1992, two months short of his 101st birthday. Roach is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Elmira, New York, where he grew up. Roach outlived many of the Our Gang children who starred in his pictures.



Hal Roach Studios

The 14.5 acre studio once known as "The Lot of Fun," containing 55 buildings, was torn down in 1963 (despite tentative plans to reopen the facilities as "Landmark Studios"). They were replaced by light industrial buildings, businesses, and an automobile dealership. Today, Culver City's "Landmark Street" runs down what was the middle of the old studio lot, with the two original sound stages having been located on the north side of Landmark Street, and the backlot/city street sets had been located at the eastern end of Landmark Street. A plaque sits in a small park across from the studio's location, placed there by The Sons of the Desert.








History seems to be repeating itself as the buildings on Washington Blvd. and Landmark Street, seen in these photos, are being demolished.





No comments:

Post a Comment